RE: sasl version mismatch: 2.1.15 vs 2.1.17

OpenLDAP 2.2 requires Cyrus 2.1.16 or higher now, and no longer allows
building with Cyrus 1.5.x. The requirement will probably bump up to Cyrus
2.1.18 soon, as there are problems with a couple of the authentication
plugins so far.

> > the library you run with is older than the one we found at
> configure/build
> > time, we complain, because most likely that older code is broken.
>
> This is different.
>
> In this case I think the check should be against that
> specific version which fixes the problem,
> and not against the version with which the app was built.

Maybe, but that leaves the door open for more ambiguity.

As an example, BDB 4.1.17 changed its db_open API and added an additional
parameter in the middle of the parameter list. The API is completely
incompatible with what came before it, but the minor version is still the
same. The version number is > 4.0 so we should be happy with it, from a
bugfix standpoint, but if you built with 4.1.17 and ran with 4.1.1 it would
immediately crash. Of course in this example, coming from the other direction
is still a loss. If you built with 4.1.1 and ran with 4.1.17 it would crash,
and our version tests don't prevent this. (A moot point, since configure
doesn't allow a BDB version this old.)

> It's obvious now the project has been bitten before by such
> problems, and then the
> version check was inserted. Fine with me. I was just trying
> to raise a point
> that this could perhaps introduce unecessary administration
> overhead. I'll stick with the
> cyrus-sasl >= version-which-is-here-at-build-time + soname
> requirements.

  -- Howard Chu