Re: BDB 4.2 and mucking things up

On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 09:37:38AM +0100, Tony Earnshaw wrote:
> with bdb stuff. If I install BDB 4.2 (/usr/local, say) alongside 4.1.25,
> does anyone have any experience as to whether it will fsck up the 4.1.25
> installation? I suspect not, since older RH versions I've used, with BDB

It could create problems if you compile programs that use BDB. I found out
the hard way that, even though my BDB installation is also separate, that some
programs look specifically for, say, -ldb4.1 -ldb4.0 in that order, but
do not take the same care while looking for the db.h include file and
include whatever db.h file they find first, no matter from which version it
is. And it often compiles :)