authentication failure

Hi all,

I'm trying to setup authentication with ldap. When I try to log in as geert I get the following message in my auth.log

Dec  4 03:55:13 debian PAM_unix[363]: check pass; user unknown
Dec  4 03:55:13 debian PAM_unix[363]: authentication failure; LOGIN(uid=0) -> geert for login service

This user does not exist on the machine, he only exists in the ldap directory. In the ldap logging I can see a lot of logging, but I don't no if this is correct.

What am I doing wrong?

My pam.conf and nsswich.conf looks like this:

pam.conf

 # ---------------------------------------------------------------------------#
# /etc/pam.conf                                                              #
# ---------------------------------------------------------------------------#
#
# NOTE
# ----
#
# NOTE: Most program use a file under the /etc/pam.d/ directory to setup their
# PAM service modules. This file is used, but not recommended
# ---------------------------------------------------------------------------#

# Format:
# serv. module     ctrl       module [path]     ...[args..]                  #
# name  type       flag                                                      #

and nsswich.conf

# /etc/nsswitch.conf
#
# Example configuration of GNU Name Service Switch functionality.
# If you have the `glibc-doc' and `info' packages installed, try:
# `info libc "Name Service Switch"' for information about this file.

passwd:         files ldap
group:          files ldap
shadow:         files ldap

hosts:          files dns