RE: what is the most stable platform to run openldap on?

BDB 4.1.25 is known to hang on multiprocessor Linux systems. See ITS#2812 for
a workaround. If you really want a rock-stable system no matter what, go back
to a uniprocessor machine.

By the way, BDB 4.2.51 should be out in a couple days, with fixes that make
it compatible with OpenLDAP 2.1. It may be worth trying that as well.

  -- Howard Chu

Maybe a concrete cinder block?