Problem with illegal attribute name in Base DN (searchBase)

Hi!

I am currently working with a system that uses DN from a certificate to search the openldap, using the ldap backend.

Now I have base DN's with attributes of type 'OID.1.2.3.4=username'. Openldap now says 'invalid DN syntax' since the first attribute name of the DN contains several dot characters.

I would be happy if I could simply use the rewrite options to translate the attribute, but I cannot get openldap to accept attribute names in that form, so the request is returned as 'invalid DN syntax' before it reaches the ldap-backend where I can rewrite..

Is there a workaround for this? I have tried to recompile with a modified slapd that removes all '.' within request, but I would be more happy to do this with configuration changes only..

Many regards!

/Johan