Initial Import fails at first entry (c=de) on a new Suse 9.0 inst allation

I have problems initialising a ldap tree on a clean Suse 9.0 installation.
First i modified the slapd.conf (see below), then i cleaned up the
/var/lib/ldap directory, then i started ldap . Everything fine, as far
as I can see in the logfiles.

Viewing this empty tree works fine:
user@hostname:~> ldapsearch -h lagos.ep.de  \
       -D "cn=admin,ou=neuemedien,ou=benutzer,o=thiscompany,c=de" \
       -w thispasswordsux -x "(ObjectClass=*)"
# extended LDIF
#
# LDAPv3
# base <> with scope sub
# filter: (ObjectClass=*)
# requesting: ALL
#

# search result
search: 2
result: 0 Success

# numResponses: 1

-------

Now, hours later, i just cannot add a simple
root item:

dn: c=de
objectClass: country
c: Deutschland

I try to add via this command:
ldapadd -h lagos.ep.de  -D
"cn=admin,ou=neuemedien,ou=benutzer,o=thiscompany,c=de"  \
   -w thispasswordsux  -x  -f text.ldiff
adding new entry "c=de"
ldapadd: update failed: c=de
ldap_add: Naming violation (64)
        additional info: value of naming attribute 'c' is not present in
entry

I am connecting as admin, so any writing restrictions should not apply.
I suppose, this is an faq, but i really couldn't find answers anywhere.
( BTW: I tested stopping ldap, copying files from another system
  and starting, ldapsearch works then... - so, slapd.conf seems to be okay )

My configuration, slapd.conf, is taken from a running system :
---------

# cat /etc/openldap/slapd.conf
include         /etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
include         /etc/openldap/schema/cosine.schema
include         /etc/openldap/schema/inetorgperson.schema
pidfile         /var/run/slapd/slapd.pid
argsfile        /var/run/slapd/slapd.args
access to attr=userPassword
       by self write
       by anonymous auth
       by dn="cn=admin,ou=neuemedien,ou=benutzer,o=thiscompany,c=de" write
       by dn="cn=datadm,ou=neuemedien,ou=benutzer,o=thiscompany,c=de" write
       by * none

access to * by self read
            by dn="cn=admin,ou=neuemedien,ou=benutzer,o=thiscompany,c=de"
write
            by dn="cn=datadm,ou=neuemedien,ou=benutzer,o=thiscompany,c=de"
write
            by * none

allow bind_v2
database        ldbm
#suffix          "c=de"
suffix          ""
rootdn          "cn=admin,ou=neuemedien,ou=benutzer,o=thiscompany,c=de"
rootpw          thispasswordsux
directory       /var/lib/ldap
dbcachesize     100000
sizelimit       10000
timelimit       10
cachesize       5000
index objectClass eq
index uniqueMember pres
index cn eq
index uid eq
index default eq
loglevel        255
-----
And the Version:
user@hostname:~> ldapadd -VV
ldapadd: @(#) $OpenLDAP: ldapmodify 2.1.22 (Sep 23 2003 21:37:30) $
        root@E180:/usr/src/packages/BUILD/openldap-2.1.22/clients/tools
        (LDAP library: OpenLDAP 20122)

PS: Binding etc works, error occurs with ldapv2+v3.