RE: Kerberos+LDAP - identity management problems

You need to read up on SASL support in OpenLDAP 2.1. You can use Kerberos for
authentication to LDAP through SASL, so your single Kerberos identity can be
used everywhere.

> Sorry if I wasn't clear on this. I was aiming at applications
> which have
> to authenticate users and use user data. They have to use one
> identity in
> two 'namespaces'. The first being Kerberos, the second being
> LDAP. Since
> there is no explicit mapping between the two you might run
> into problems.
> However, I guess you could use an implicit mapping (a
> convention). But then
> you have to hardcode the convention in your applications,
> which is usually
> a bad idea.

No. The slapd administrator needs to explicitly define a mapping in
slapd.conf; no one else needs to worry about the mapping.

There is another alternative for applications that can not be made
SASL-compliant - Use a Kerberos KDC that uses LDAP for its data store. (E.g.,
Heimdal.) In Symas CDS we've got a design that keeps the Kerberos account
info in the same entry as the user's regular LDAP info. The KDC stores the
kerberos key in the userPassword attribute "userpassword:
{KRB5KEY}xxxxxxxxxxxx" and so the same password can be used for Kerberos
authentication and LDAP Simple Binds. It does violate the intent of Kerberos
security, but as has been seen on this mailing list many times before, many
people prefer convenience to security, and this approach makes account
management much simpler. As long as the sysadmin is careful about database
file permissions, TLS/SSL setup, and ACLs, it can be used without too much
risk.

  -- Howard Chu