Problem: connection retrieves no attributes

Hi. I have a problem connecting to my ldap service.
I have a subtree that represents applications and it's users, and these users have it's userPassword attribute. When I try to connect for authentication I succeed connecting, but I can't read any attribute. If I want this, I have to connect as rootdn.

For example:

base_dn: (user_dn)
auth.: simple
user_dn: (user_dn)
password: (user password)

This connects, but returns no attributes.
Same as anonymous user.

As rootdn:

base_dn: (user_dn)
auth.: simple
user_dn: (root_dn)
password: (root password)

This connects, and returns everithing.

My slapd.conf has only these access constraints

defaultaccess read
access to attr=userpassword
   by self write
   by dn=<root dn> write
   by * compare

I think I'm being always connected as an anonymous user.
OpenLdap bug? Did I miss anything (most probable)? What do I have to change in my slapd.conf?

Help! Help! Heeeelp...! :~(