RE: failed assertion `LBER_VALID( ber )'

You're welcome. Now you know why we make such a big deal of Symas' CDS
Binaries. It's easy to miss something, and a "trivial" glitch can tear down
the whole thing. Our packages are built by subject-matter experts and are
certified to be built correctly. Install it and it works. (Of course, you
still have to edit the config files in a reasonable manner... ;)

We used to advise people to remove Sun's native LDAP packages from the system
before setting up OpenLDAP but apparently there are some hard dependencies in
Sun's tools now, so this is not a viable option. You just have to be extra
careful when building LDAP-enabled applications, and set your paths properly
to avoid the confusion.

  -- Howard Chu