Re: multimaster help/advice

"<yunakaof-AT-usp.br>" <yunakaof@usp.br> writes:

> Hi,
>
> someone could advice about multimaster
> environment with  several open-ldap
> servers, writing me:
> - if openldap do it or no, and how if yes;
> - if exist any product that do it, (Sun, Novell, others ?);
> - if this is or is not a feature that
>   is build from LDAP like databases ( what type of product/
>   software is more suitable )?
>
> A scenario like this: five to ten
> educational units, with one open-ldap
> server with its own set of users.
> But when I request an login/passwd/profile
> request to one of then, the server that has the
> information would pass it to the server I
> made the request ?

That is a scenario of referral or subordinate knowledge, but not of
multi-master data sychnronizing.
But instead of a referral design you may take a master/slave
configuration into consideration. That is, the complete data set is
stored in a master directory which is replicating to n slaves.

> I see in list examples of two
> multimaster examples, but not for several.

There is no technical difference between a set of two servers and a
set of multiple servers.

> How can I make to work such an environment ?

http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin21/
'Understanding and Deploying LDAP Directory Services' Timothy Howes et
al.

-Dieter

--
Dieter Kluenter  | Systemberatung