Re: Intro and question

Howard,
Thanks for your input - I've actually already evaluated all of these options, and I'll give you my thoughts on them...

Howard Chu wrote:

You can:
 1) consolidate all the information into a single entry, with some kind of
tag to differentiate values. e.g.
	homeDirectory: {host1}/home/foo
	homeDirectory: {host2}/export/home/bar

Yes, but then we would need to do additional filtering on the client side. I don't think the clients support this out of the box, so we would need to modify the client code. One of the constraints is to work with stock clients, so this isn't really ideal.

 2) distribute the information as I suggested before, and perform multiple
queries to construct a complete user record

Once again, this would require client side code updates.
A totally server side implementation I thought of was to have the normal people record, and then create child records of that record for cluster specific information. We would then have a custom handler on another tree (maybe written in back-perl) that would accept queries, do some basic rewrites and query the original tree for the parent and child entries and then "flatten" them before returning them.
The same could potentially be done for option 1 above, where the handler looks for a "host" attribute constraint, then then transparently filters the results and renames the attributes.

The problem here is that we'd be writing our own backend code, and it would be ideal if there was a common solution to this that had been tested out and validated by others.

 3) create multiple trees with redundant information, and point each client
at the relevant subtree.

(1) and (2) require nss_ldap code changes. (3) requires no code changes, but
means keeping a lot of redundant trees in sync.

Yes, synchronizing across the subtrees is a hassle, which is why I was hoping for another way.

   Steve