Re: slapadd filching memory

On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 09:58:51AM -0600, Jon Roberts wrote:

> The problem is that the memory is not released, neither during the
> slapadd (which would've helped), nor after the process is completed,
> (successfully or not). Starting and stopping slapd does nothing. I have
> to restart the machine to get the memory back. I fiddled with DB cache
> values (4 Mb in a single block seemed to work best); that helped
> efficiency somewhat but memory keeps disappearing in the same manner.

Free memory is wasted memory. What you are seeing is just the normal
operation of a modern operating system. If there is nothing better to
do with it, almost all memory will get used as page cache in the hope
that it avoids having to do a physical disk operation in the future.
The memory is available for instant re-use as all the OS has to do is
to invalidate some entries in the page cache.

Don't worry about free memory. If you are having performance problems
you need to look at other things such as page in/out rates, and BDB
cache behaviour.

Andrew