Re: I need some suggestions on a setup...Designing LDAP network structure

At 05:28 PM 10/29/2003 +0100, you wrote:
                   users - imap client, browsers

                      /               \
                     /                 \
                    /   Authentication  \
              Server 1                   \
                                        Server 2
              Postfix (SASL, TLS)  <-->
              Courier IMAP (TLS)   <--> Samba/LDAP (SASL, TLS)
              SquirrelMail (https) <-->

This is more or less what I implement. *But* not with the luser 2.0.27 you suggested, Postfix is snapshot, LDAP is 2.1.23, Cyrus SASL is 2.1.15, Courier is 2.1.2 and Samba is 3. You don't need NFS, just processor and storage.

Ok. I can get another server and storage. That should not be a problem. I like your setup. Looks very nice.
Currently, I have Samba with LDAP on the backend as our PDC.

I should ask, does this request from "Management" even make logical sense? From what I gather, they want to be able to archive all email as well as have a place to have the email accessible in case the mail server goes down.

One thing I should mention is that, on my PDC, I have it setup to automatically map users /home directory to a drive so they can store documents and such.
What about the possibility of storing their email in their /home share?
I'm trying to kick around as many ideas as I can right now because I need to present something today to the 'suits' today.

How to do it? Each component has to be learned individually and in combination with each other one. In addition, there is PHP4 for web applications, etc. And Postfix 2 could just have well been Exim 4, I can do both. There is no short cut possible. Use the mailing lists to see what people say about setting your stuff up, but do not ask for help until you have tried everything you can possibly do to make things work on your own. Then you should hardly ever need to ask for help. Always use the very latest, acknowledged bug-free source and compile your own. Make your own rpms, debs, pkgs, whatever, if you wish and do not rely on others', second-hand packages. Pray to God that your "Management" has enough sense to give you the time you need - it will probably run into many months.

PHP4, one thing i've been learning recently. I think it will give me a lot of options in the future.

What other lists do you recommend posting on? Samba? IMAP?
I will plan to go forward and work on this myself first, before I ask for help. I prefer to do it this way anyway.

I need everyone to Pray to God for me, because I have a feeling, "Management" is going to drop a bombshell on me and tell me they need it in 2-3 weeks.

I appreciate the insight Tony.

Cheers,

Jason