RE: Problem getting started with openLDAP

Hi,

Thanks for your help, I'm getting a bit more response from ldap however I'm still having problems.
I modified my original config file so that it looks like this:

----- ex.ldiff -----
dn: dc=example,dc=com
objectclass: dcObject
objectclass: organization
o: Example Company
dc: example
dn: dc=example,dc=com
objectclass: organizationalRole
cn: Manager
----------

But I'm still getting errors:
% ldapadd -D "cn=Manager,dc=example, dc=com" -v -f ex.ldiff
Bind Password:
add objectclass:
        dcObject
        organization
        organizationalRole
add o:
        Example Company
add dc:
        example
add dn:
        dc=example,dc=com
add cn:
        Manager
adding new entry dc=example,dc=com
ldap_add_s: Invalid syntax

I also tried the example you suggested. It didn't like lines beggining with '#' so I removed the comments, it didn't like blank fields either (file quoted below).  With this I get another error:

% ldapadd -D "cn=Manager,dc=example,dc=com" -v -f ex2.ldiff
Bind Password:
add objectClass:
        dcObject
add dc:
        example
adding new entry dc=example,dc=com
ldap_add_s: Object class violation

When I did the above, the log from slapd contains the following, I don't know if its relevant:
	conn=48 op=1 ADD dn="dc=example,dc=com"
	bdb_dn2entry_rw("dc=example,dc=com")
	=> bdb_dn2id_matched( "dc=example,dc=com" )
	<= bdb_dn2id_matched: no match
	send_ldap_result: conn=48 op=1 p=3
	send_ldap_result: err=65 matched="" text="no structural object class provided"

I'm still not too sure what is going on so any more enlightenment would be greatfully received.

Thanks in advance,
Matthew

---- ex2.ldiff ----
dn: dc=example,dc=com
objectClass: dcObject
dc: example

dn: ou=People,dc=example,dc=com
objectClass: organizationalUnit
ou: People

dn: ou=Groups,dc=example,dc=com
objectClass: organizationalUnit
ou: Groups

dn: uid=nobody,ou=People,dc=example,dc=com
cn: nobody
sn: nobody
objectClass: inetOrgPerson
objectClass: sambaAccount
objectClass: posixAccount
gidNumber: 514
uid: nobody
uidNumber: 999
homeDirectory: /dev/null
pwdLastSet: 0
logonTime: 0
logoffTime: 2147483647
kickoffTime: 2147483647
pwdCanChange: 0
pwdMustChange: 2147483647
smbHome: na
homeDrive: D:
profilePath: na
rid: 501
primaryGroupID: 514
lmPassword: NO PASSWORDXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
ntPassword: NO PASSWORDXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
acctFlags: [NU         ]
loginShell: /bin/false