Directory Structure

Hello,

In our hosting company, we have a directory that contains any information about our customers,

The information include customer's details (such as phone, address, etc..),

As well as technical information such as user accounts, uids, passwords, gids, dns zones, email accounts and so on,

For now, the directory looks like this

O(company)

 OU(hosting)

  OU(DNS)

   CN(CUSTOMER)

     (Specific Objectclasses of DNS)

  OU(WEB)

   CN(CUSTOMER)

     (Specific objectclases of WEB)

  OU(EMAIL)

   CN(CUSTOMER)

     (Specific objectclases of WEB)

We also have another OU (on the same layer of the service's OUS described above) named "CustomersDetails" which holds

General information about customers (phone, address, zipcode, etc...)

Under each of the OUs(DNS/WEB/EMAIL) we always have a CN 'Customer_name'

Under CN(Customer_name) we have the specific objectclasses of each service (DNS/WEB/EMAIL)

This cause us to have a CN(Customer's name) for each OU of each service(DNS/WEB/EMAIL)

So one customer can have several services, thus, we create several CNs for each Customer per service.

We thought about changing the directory to something that easier to maintain and easier to read

and it goes like this:

O(COMPANY)

 OU(HOSTING)

  CN(CUSTOMER)  --> Will include customer's information such as (Phone,Address,etc...)

   CN(DNS)

     (Specific objectlcasses of the DNS entries)

   CN(WEB)

     (Specific objectlcasses of the web[such as posicaccount: uids,password, etc...])

   CN(EMAIL)

     (Specific objectlcasses of the email entries)

This way we won't be able to have a BASEDN like 'DNS' which the DNS server will look for

all its objectclasses.

How slow will it make the queries? Is it a common way of building a directory? Or should I stick with the current one?

Thanks in advanced,

Asaf