Re: tilde expansion problem

--On Friday, October 24, 2003 12:03 PM -0500 Greg Swallow <gswallow@www.IN.gov> wrote:

Hi,

I'm not even sure if this is the correct list to post this inquiry to,
but having had problems on both Linux and Solaris, with multiple
vendors' LDAP packages, maybe someone's had this problem.

Cron keeps crashing on LDAP-enabled boxes here, and I think it has
something to do with tilde/home directory expansion?

Something ain't right...  Here's what happens.

I get a bunch of bad block messages in tcsh when I try to type ls ~eh<tab>

We only have this type of setup on our linux machines right now (Solaris coming this winter), but so far we've not encountered this problem at all. Given that you are seeing it with multiple LDAP vendors, I'd say this is a problem in tcsh (our default shell here, so intersting we haven't seen any problems so far).

From a linux system:

firebird9:~> cd ~cadabra/bin /afs/ir/users/c/a/cadabra/bin: No such file or directory. firebird9:~> cd ~cadabra/public firebird9:~cadabra/public>

ls expands via TAB as well.

firebird9:~> ls ~cadabra/
cgi-bin/ Mail/    News/    output   private/ public/  WWW/

firebird9:~> uname -a
Linux firebird9.Stanford.EDU 2.4.20-20.9 #1 Mon Aug 18 11:45:58 EDT 2003 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer