Re: setting up a slapd.pid

Maybe you are running ldap as a non-privileged user that cannot write to
/var/run? Try creating something like /var/run/slapd, owned by the user
under which slapd runs, and change pidfile do /var/run/slapd/slapd.pid.
Maybe this helps.

I thought about this. Im running OpenLDAP 2.0.27 on Red Hat 7.3.

I was stopping and starting LDAP by using the rc. scripts.

One thing I noticed is that the slapd.log is owned by user 'ldap.' in /var/log.
I'm not sure if the .pid needs to be owned by ldap.
If so, I guess I should go with what you suggested?

I appreciate it.

Jason