[openldap 2.1.12][BerkeleyDb 4.1.24] bdb-backend: add a new index

There remain some mysterious issues to me regarding index addition :
Is there a difference between the 2 following ways to add a new index :

Way 1 :
- Stop slapd.
- Update slapd.conf to specify a new index => slapd.conf updated
- Run : slapindex

Way 2 :
- Make a "hot" backup of my DB to get a ldif image of it (using
"ldapsearch -LLL" command) => db.ldif
- Stop slapd.
- Update slapd.conf to specify a new index => slapd.conf updated
- Run : slapadd

Way1 takes days while Way2 takes only hours in my case.

Question : Are these 2 ways really equivalent (will I get the same index

generation, and thus the same performances) ?

Question : If so, how can this execution time difference be explained ?

Thank you for your help !
Helene