Re: Question about v2.2.2beta dn checking

--On Wednesday, October 22, 2003 9:54 PM -0400 Allan E Johannesen <aej@WPI.EDU> wrote:

"quanah" == Quanah Gibson-Mount <quanah@stanford.edu> writes:

quanah> --On Wednesday, October 22, 2003 6:38 PM -0400 Allan E Johannesen quanah> <aej@WPI.EDU> wrote:

I was trying to feed a slapcat of 2.1.23 into slapadd of 2.2.2beta and
the first entry gives an error:

slapadd: line 16: database (dc=wpi,dc=edu) not configured to hold
"dc=WPI,dc=EDU"

quanah> Look at the casing in the above error. dc=wpi,dc=edu (from slapd.conf) quanah> does not match dc=WPI,dc=EDU

Thanks.  When I made the suffix in the slapd.conf match, it did load just
fine. I guess I never thought that case would matter.

Looking at the dc attribute:

attributetype ( 0.9.2342.19200300.100.1.25
        NAME ( 'dc' 'domainComponent' )
        DESC 'RFC1274/2247: domain component'
        EQUALITY caseIgnoreIA5Match
        SUBSTR caseIgnoreIA5SubstringsMatch
        SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.26 SINGLE-VALUE )

Therefore, new rule is that DN's obey case, even though the attribute in
question claims to ignore case.  The stuff in a DN isn't attributes, but I
mistakenly thought of them as attributes.

I had a sasl-regexp in slapd.conf for GSSAPI recognition and that had to
match case in order to work, too.  Now that you pointed out my error
above, I didn't have to embarrass myself again by asking why that didn't
work.

I knew this answer because I hit the same problem with casing in doing my testing against OpenLDAP 2.2. ;)

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer