Re: ldap not very helpful

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 ldap@linuxpro.co.za wrote:

> I get the following an error when i try to ldapadd -D
> "cn=Manager,o=domain-name" -W < test.ldif
> The error"
> ldapadd: no attributes to change or add
> (entry="dc=ldap,dc=domain-name,dc=org       objectClass: top
> objectClass: dcObject   objectClass: organization   dc: domain-name   o:
> domain-name   description: Full Company Name Domain")

This is actually a very helpful error message. It's telling you that
(1) ldapadd cannot discern any attribute lines in your LDIF file, and
(2) ldapadd is interpreting everything from the first "dn:" to the first
blank line in your LDIF file as a dn, suggesting to me that something
may be wrong with the LDIF file...

> ldif_record() = 89
> "
>
> I have used the default example files form yolinux.com , to try and get
> the server to return result from windows adress book search .. before i
> change the config to my needs .
>
> Many thanks
> Gregory Machin
>
> the test.ldif
>
> dn: dc=ldap,dc=domain-name,dc=org
>     objectClass: top
>     objectClass: dcObject
>     objectClass: organization
>     dc: domain-name
>     o: domain-name
[snip]

See man ldif. Any line beginning with a space or tab in an LDIF file is
assumed to be a continuation of the previous one.

--
Kirk Turner-Rustin
Programmer/Analyst