LDAP Cyrus & libnss-ldap.conf

I have a problem with the permissions of libnss-ldap.conf. I am running
openldap 2.0.23 on debian woody to provide authentication for cyrus,
postfix, login, etc... When I set the permissions of
/etc/libnss-ldap.conf to be readable only by root cyrus & all my other
services work fine except that when standard ldap users log in they
receive the "I have no name!" prompt message. When I make the same file
world readable the prompt is then ok but it breaks the cyrus
authentication.  imtest returns the following error: failure: prot layer
failure

Anybody pointers would be much appreciated!

Ed.