Purging replication logfile

I have 2 newbie questions on purging replication logfile.

1. If slurpd is running, then do the changes get purged from the file as soon as they are consumed by slurpd (or) is there a way to configure a purge interval.
2. If slurpd is not running, and slapd is configured to set up replication logfile, then how can the purging be done. Does this have to be a manual process performed by the administrator.

If there is any documentation on this, I would really appreciate if you can point me to this.

Thanks
Saheli