Wildcard searches on specific record types

Hello all,

I am running an OpenLDAP installation on a RedHat 9 box (openldap 1.8.8.7).

I have stored our internal machines (about 550) in the ldap server as
'domainRelatedObject' .
I wrote a script that builds our bind zone files from the data, and that works
out just fine.

As a nice little extra, I wanted to write a webpage that would let people
search for machines (since we also store a description etc.). When writing my
page I noticed that I couldn't do a wildcard search.

It took me a while, but now I think that this is because in the schema
(cosine.schema) some of the objects are not defined as having a SUBSTR
attribute (I'm not sure about the terms I'm using here).
It happens that I was testing with searching for a cNAMERecord. The entry in
the scheme looks like this:

attributetype ( 0.9.2342.19200300.100.1.31 NAME 'cNAMERecord'
        EQUALITY caseIgnoreIA5Match
        SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.26 )

Whereas a more 'text-oriented' entry looks like this:

attributetype ( 0.9.2342.19200300.100.1.2 NAME 'textEncodedORAddress'
        EQUALITY caseIgnoreMatch
        SUBSTR caseIgnoreSubstringsMatch
        SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.15{256} )

And now my questions:

1) Am I right in thinking that the LDAP server is unable to do a wildcard
search on a cname record because cNAMERecord does not have the SUBSTR stuff?

2) Let's say that I wanted that functionality anyway, could I just add the
SUBSTR line in the schema?

3) Is proposing to change the schema the dumbest thing one could propose and
did I just make an arse out of myself?

4) if (  3)  ) Is there another way to do a substring search on such a record
type?

I appreciate your thoughts,

kind regards,

Joost

DISCLAIMER
This e-mail and any attached files are confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the addressee, any disclosure, reproduction, copying, distribution, or other dissemination or use of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error please notify A.S.T.R.I.D.  nv/sa immediately and then delete this e-mail.