Re: Multiple Search Paths

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 09:02:59AM -0400, Tibbetts, Ric wrote:
> This is probably a quick & simple one.

Not exactly :)

> I need to set up multiple search paths for user accounts.
> I have several departments in my DIT that could contain department only
> accounts, as well as a general user base. So for any given user (within
> a domain), I need to do two searches (for login authentication).

I had to do the same thing.

> My main user base is in (for example):
>
> 	ou=People,dc=ldap-test,dc=com
>
> With department specific accounts in:
>
> 	ou=People,dc=eng,dc=mlb,dc=ldap-test,dc=com
>
> The same condition exists with the groups, etc..
>
> I can't seem to see both of them for login authentication from the
> client. In my client (Redhat 9) ldap.conf, I have:
>
> # The distinguished name of the search base.
> base dc=eng,dc=mlb,dc=ldap-test,dc=com

Hmm, seems easy enough. Just point the search base to dc=ldap-test,dc=com.
The client will search the whole tree, however, so this might be an expensive
operation depending on your directory layout.

> On Solaris, I can specify more than one search path. How do you do that
> with Linux?

My scenario was a bit more complicated, search the archives for the past
week or so for my post with some ascii-art describing my layout and what
I did to solve this for my case.