purpose of set_lg_regionmax

What is the exact nature of set_lg_regionmax in the Berkeley DB, and when
would one need to increase it? I have not found a good explanation. The
documentation says:

"The log region is used to store filenames, and so may need to be increased
in size if a large number of files will be opened and registered with the
specified Berkeley DB environment's log manager."

I'm not sure what filenames this refers to. If I have a large number of
indexes, do those count as filenames? I have seen a variety of different
settings in the sample DB_CONFIG files in various postings, but no
explanations as to how the values were determined.

I am currently running openldap 2.1.22 with db 4.1.25. Everything was
working well until I tried to implement groups. We have approximately
14,000 groups with approximately 300,000  members. I have an equals  index
on the member attribute. While trying to populate all of the members of the
groups, I ran into a strange problem where my script would occasionally
fail to find users while trying to add them to the group. After working on
this for a while I tried to just completely delete a group and start over.
I received a strange error about being unable to delete the index entry and
it refused to delete the group.

Figuring that perhaps the indexes were corrupt, I tried running slapindex
with no success. I finally tried using slapcat to dump the database, but
when I tried to reload it it would fail somewhere in the middle with region
corrupt errors. While researching that error, I came across references to
the subject configuration option. I'm not sure if it is related or not
(although it coincidentally has something to do with regions).

Thanks much for any help...

--
Paul B. Henson  |  (909) 979-6361  |  http://www.csupomona.edu/~henson/
Operating Systems and Network Analyst  |  henson@csupomona.edu