Re: guide to upgrading from v1 to v2

-- "Jason C. Leach" <jleach@ocis.net> wrote:
> hi,
>
> No voodoo to upgrading. I would dump all your data to LDIF then import
> in into the new database. You'll find that ldap is now more strict with
> respect to a well structured database.  Also if you have other older
> clients accessing the database you'll need to put a setting in the
> config file to allow v2 binds.

Hi Jason,

I did find the file README.upgrading after sending my original message which
suggested that I use ldbmcat to dump the data and fixing schema
incompatibilities.

# man ldbmcat
suggests 'ldbmcat -n /var/lib/ldap/id2entry.gdbm > id2entry.ldif'

Is that the only gdbm file that I need to dump? It certainly is the only file
which produces human readable data.

Anyway I went to import the file using

# service ldap stop
# rm /var/lib/ldap/*
# slapadd -v -c -l ~/id2entry.ldif

and I got:

slapadd: could not parse entry (line=11)
slapadd: could not parse entry (line=22)
slapadd: could not parse entry (line=33)

looking at the .ldif file I found that each line number it complains about is
blank. It appears to be just a record seperator. There are now some new .gdbm
files in /var/lib/ldap/

It still doesnt respond to pine's directory searches.

When starting the server I get

# slapd -d 256
daemon: socket() failed errno=97 (Address family not supported by protocol)
/etc/openldap/slapd.at.conf: line 1: old attribute type format not supported.
/etc/openldap/slapd.at.conf: line 2: old attribute type format not supported.

The file in question contains the old schema definition. So I guess that still
needs to be upgraded.

I checked the 'allow bind_v2' option you mentioned but when I put it in
slapd.conf the server rejects it. the man page doesn't mention it in the allow
directive, only in disallow.

Cheers,

M.