pam_ldap and openldap

Hello all! I would like to post an issue I'm having with ldap. I'm using openldap with pam_ldap. I have a user with the name mang7 in openldap and I was able to login to any box that has ldap client setup. What I was wondering is if I use the id command (i.e. id)
It only reports mang without the 7. I tried it on different machines. Is openldap not giving the right information and that's the reason why I'm not getting the correct username? Has anyone had the same problem?

any help is much appreciated. thanks! :)

melissa