Re: make test hangs

---- James Courtney <Jcourtney@inphonic.com> wrote:
> I'm compiling openldap version 2.1.22 on RedHat 9 on a dual CPU 800 Mhz. PIII box.
>
> When running the make test target for openldap I successfully get to the output for the test008-concurrency section and then it hangs with the following output (hangs meaning it hasn't progressed after several hours of waiting).  According to top my CPUs are chugging away on lt-slapd processes.  My build procedure and output from top is documented below.  Any suggestions would be great.  I'm just worried about it failing on the "concurrency" target on a dual-cpu machine:)  I noticed a post (ITS#2563) with a similar issue when I searched the OpenLDAP site:
>
> http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-bugs/200306/msg00001.html
>
> Hopefully someone knows what the deal is.

Unfortunately the bug report you referenced above is for OpenLDAP 2.2.0alpha, and has no bearing on OpenLDAP 2.1.22.

I vaguely recall something like this coming up before; it's particular to multiprocessor systems. We fixed it in 2.2 by changing back-bdb/dbcache.c. (rev 1.25). The change was not merged into OpenLDAP 2.1 because it is an incompatible index database format change, but it sounds like you need it. Have a look at CVS for the (short, 2 line) patch.

  -- Howard Chu
  Chief Architect, Symas Corp.       Director,
Highland Sun
  http://www.symas.com
http://highlandsun.com/hyc
  Symas: Premier OpenSource Development and
Support