Re: "static" dbuser and dbpassword in back-sql ?

Hi Jochen,

While I didn't write the code in OpenLDAP, I've done it for other software. I would imagine that the reason for using a static user is so that incoming LDAP connections can share a pool of database connections. Database connections tend to be considerably heavier to create than LDAP connections and reconnecting each time a new user comes in using their own credentials would tend to be performance-prohibitive.

As far as virtual directories, they tend to default to the same behavior for the same reasons when it comes to databases, though in many cases you can map certain users to more privileged connections than others, though in this case you're depending as much on the VD to manage privileges as if you just kept a single pool of connections and depended on the ACL system inherent in the VD or OpenLDAP software.

Clayton