Re: scope: global and local stuff in openldap

On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 09:18:03AM -0700, Howard Chu wrote:
> > With this setup, users at the remote site can see the global
> > part without traversing
> > the WAN link, and changes to the global part are replicated
> > to each remote site.
> >
> > Comments?
>
> Using OpenLDAP 2.1 I would use the "subordinate" keyword to connect the two
> databases instead of a referral. If you were using OpenLDAP 2.2 I would

Thanks for the tip, I didn't know about the subordinate keyword even though
it's clearly documented in the slapd.conf manpage. Unfortunately, for now,
I'm tied up with openldap-2.0.x for this.

> consider the possibility of using a caching proxy (back-meta) on the remote
> site to connect to the global data, instead of using explicit replication.

I'm a little wary about replication myself for the purposes of pushing data to
remote sites (and not just a local backup server), but I understand openldap-2.2 has
many advances in the replication area. I'll keep an eye on its development and start to
test it as soon as possible.

> This depends on whether there is a clear usage pattern of the global data at
> the remote sites, so that the caching can be used to good advantage.

Thanks for the tips.