scope: global and local stuff in openldap

I have a scope problem with openldap. It's sort of a directory
design problem in a way, not very specific to openldap, but
perhaps openldap has something (or lacks something) to make this
work.

I have a situation where there are several offices far away
interconnected with WAN links. These offices have local users which
I don't mind if they are only seen within the office scope. But there
is a class of users which should be global: every office should be
able to see them. How could I setup this scenario without taxing
the WAN link too much?

These global users would/could be located on a central ldap server,
at the main office, for example. First I thought about replicating this
global branch to each remote office. Any ideas?
Thanks.