SASL PAM Authentication

I'm having trouble with the slapd authentication mechanism.  I have
successfully managed to get slapd to authenticate a user through the
PLAIN mechanism authenticating against the userPassword field of a
directory entry.  I have also successfully installed SASL and the
saslauthd.  I have configured saslauthd to authenticate against the PAM
modules on my machine.  testsaslauthd successfully authenticates against
the local shadow password database.

Now I am trying to make slapd authenticate against saslauthd (or even
directly using the SASL PAM libraries) rather than against the
userPassword field in the directory.  I've tried setting the
pwcheck_method in slapd.conf to saslauthd.  This did not seem to have
any effect on the authentication process or the output log information.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.