'Implementation specific error' error

Hi, I've been having a small problem, getting OpenLDAP running on my
desktop machine even though I've run a few successful LDAP servers
elsewhere. The machine in question is running FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE

I've installed openldap 2.1 from the ports (this issue existed with
my original 2.2 installation also so I thought downgrading would be
better) and I'm having problems.

I took a quick look over the "Quick Start Guide" again, before
trying to add entries.

The following is in my slapd.conf

---[ slapd.conf ]--------------------------
include         /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
include         /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/cosine.schema
include         /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/inetorgperson.schema
include         /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/nis.schema

pidfile         /var/run/ldap/slapd.pid
argsfile        /var/run/ldap/slapd.args

database        bdb
suffix          "dc=examdomain,dc=ie"
rootdn          "cn=Manager,dc=examdomain,dc=ie"
rootpw          xxxxxxxx
directory       /var/db/openldap-data
index   objectClass     eq

---[ ]-------------------------------------

Then I tried to add the following LDIF file:

---[ test.ldif ]---------------------------

dn: dc=examdomain,dc=ie
objectclass: dcObject
objectclass: organization
o: RFC Networks
dc: examdomain

dn: cn=Manager,dc=examdomain,dc=ie
objectclass: organizationalRole
cn: Manager
---[ ]-------------------------------------

by using:

$ ldapadd -x -D "cn=Manager,dc=examdomain,dc=ie" \
	-W -f ~/test.ldif

I'm prompted for my password and I get the following:

Enter LDAP Password:
adding new entry "cn=Manager,dc=examdomain,dc=ie"
ldapadd: update failed: cn=Manager,dc=examdomain,dc=ie
ldap_add: Internal (implementation specific) error (80)

I can only presume this "implementation specific error 80" is
actually something errno produced. 80 on FreeBSD corresponds to an
error code of EAUTH

$ awk '$3 == "80" {print $0}' < /usr/include/errno.h
#define EAUTH           80              /* Authentication error */

Initially my thoughts were towards permissions, and intro(2) on my
system seems to suggest EAUTH is for authentication against NFS
(although there's every possibility some other library is throwing
it).

Has anyone seen this before? Can anyone shed any more light on
what's happening, perhaps. Running ldapadd with -v doesn't help me
much more.

$ ldapadd -v -x -D "cn=Manager,dc=examdomain,dc=ie" \
	-W -f ~/test.ldif
ldap_initialize( <DEFAULT> )
Enter LDAP Password:
add objectclass:
        organizationalRole
add cn:
        Manager
adding new entry "cn=Manager,dc=examdomain,dc=ie"
ldapadd: update failed: cn=Manager,dc=examdomain.,dc=ie
ldap_add: Internal (implementation specific) error (80)

examdomain.ie is of course not the real domain :)

All help and suggestions much appreciated.

--
Philip Reynolds                      | RFC Networks Ltd.
philip.reynolds@rfc-networks.ie      | +353 (0)1 8832063