Entering/updating address book data

Dear fellows,

I've been using LDAP and pam_ldap for authentication purposes for a while, now I'm trying to use it to make a "public" (intranet) address book.
I've found a lot of info in how to configure outlook, mozilla and other mail clients to use the directory as and address book. I've also found an outlook-ldap fields mapping, extension schemas, etc...
I've created a new entry "ou=addressbook,dc=mydomain,dc=com" (for now) and added some data there using ldif and ldapbrowser (a good java-based utility). I've gave permission to a specific user to write in that location:
access to dn="ou=addressbook,dc=mydomain,dc=com"
        by dn="uid=specificuser,ou=People,dc=mydomain,dc=com" write
        by * read

The "specificuser" is using ldapbrowser to add/update/delete entries in addressbook - although it's a good utility is not as "user-friendly" as some users would like (for the end-user): to add a FAX number the user need to "add attribute", type "facsimileTelephoneNumber" (case-sensitive) and than type the number.
I've tried to use mozilla address book and outlook express address book (binding as "uid=specificuser,ou=People,dc=mydomain,dc=com" and using his password) but the access to OpenLDAP is still "read-only".
  1. Does anyone know a mail-client or at least an end-user tool to manage the addressbook data? Or a way to sync Mizilla and/or Outlook addressbook to OpenLDAP?
  2. Besides the "public" (intranet) addressbook, I'd like to allow users to have their private addressbook in the directory - I'm thinking in using something like: "ou=addressbook,uid=someuser,ou=People,dc=mydomain,dc=com" - the users could configure 2 directories in their mail client app: 1 private and 1 public. Is this a good design? Is there a way to automate the email clients configuration task?
Thanks in advance,
José Carlos Stevenson.