Ldap Index

I have a doubt about the working of indexes in OpenLDAP. If a change an attribute that isn´t indexed, the update will start a re-index of these ldap entry (all indexed attributes)?
In fact we have two objects in a relation one to one, the first is an inetOrgPerson, and the second is the userOptions of our webmail application. We are thinking in merge (or combine) the two objects in a single one, but the second object is uptade more frequently than the first, so if these changes will rebuild all the indexed attributes of the entry the load of the OpenLDAP will increase a lot.
I'll apreciate any sugestion or comentary.
Thanks in advance

Nei