OpenLDAP 2.0, ldbm, slapcat question

The FAQ states that slapcat must not be run while the server is running. The man page is somewhat more relaxed, stating:

       Your  slapd(8)  should  not  be  running (at least, not in
       read-write mode) when you do this to ensure consistency of
       the database.

If I run slapcat with slapd active, can I corrupt the directory files or just possibly end up with a corrupted ldif output?

Also, if I run slapcat against a slave directory, with slurpd off, would that be "safe" since nothing else is updating the directory?

Thanks,

Allan