binding to active directory eureka!

hello all! I would like to share with you guys how I was able to bind to the active directory using ldapsearch.

just bind using -D "<domain>\username" or username@domain.com. I was just wondering if it's possible to bind to an ldap server without specifying the domain? hmm.. I think in active directory, you could just specify the .\username or something to that effect that will search for the domain name? if anybody knows, please enlighten me. :) thanks!

melissa