step by step LDAP+SASL on FreeBSD 4.8R

Hello openldap-software,

  It seems that there is some problem with OpenLDAP 2.1.22 and
  Cyrus-SASL 2.1.15 installation on FreeBSD 4.8R. I mean, this problem
  not only with those versions of products, but maybe with all
  versions. And it's hard for me to understand, why one
  LDIF+slapd.conf works on some system, and on the other it won't. Well,
  here it is, step-by-step installation from the scratch. Maybe it
  will help those guys that have to install FreeBSD 5.1 to make it
  work.

  Get FreeBSD 4.8R installation disk, i've burn one with ISO taken from

  ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ISO-IMAGES-i386/4.8/4.8-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso

  then boot from that CD, install (to make sure you have clear system)
  bin, crypto, ports and man distribution. If you will need other
  distributions you can always install them later. I haven't install
  any packages - just the clear system. While in installation dialog,
  configure ether interface, timezone (in my case it's Europe/Russian
  Federation/MSK+00) and console. Then reboot, first start, hope you
  already have internet now, and if you don't you need fresh ports and
  openldap, cyrus-sasl and db41 distfiles. Then, go to
  /usr/ports/net/openldap21/, type 'make install WITH_SASL=yes', then
  here it goes - you have openldap21 installed. When all was set i
  just copied slapd.conf, ldap.conf, init.ldif (all in attached tar.gz) to
  /usr/local/etc/openldap/, move /usr/local/etc/rc.d/slapd.sh.sample
  to slapd.sh, did some edit on /usr/local/etc/rc.d/slapd.sh (change
  $pidfile location and comment those $slapd_args). Then exec
  '/usr/local/etc/rc.d/slapd.sh start', go to
  /usr/local/etc/openldap/, and

'ldapadd -x -D cn=root,dc=domain,dc=com -w secret -f init.ldif'

  directory should be created without any problem, then

'ldappasswd -x -D cn=root,dc=domain,dc=com -w secret -s pass uid=user,ou=mail,dc=domain,dc=com'

  so the password for test user is set, then

'ldapwhoami -x -D uid=user,ou=mail,dc=domain,dc=com -w pass'

  it should show DN of that user. Then

'ldapwhoami -U shunsley -Y DIGEST-MD5'

  it should ask you for a password, it may happen after one minute or
  so. If it hangs - the we got the problem and i don't know how to
  solve it.

--
Best regards,
Alexander                          mailto:lan_mailing@startatom.ru