Impact of shutting down slapd impact on LDAP clients

Title: Impact of shutting down slapd impact on LDAP clients

All,

My environment is:

RedHat Linux 8.0
OpenLDAP 4.1.25
BDB 2.1.17

I have 4 servers with the LDAP server installed on 1; the LDAP client on all 4.

I was in the process of installing the LDAP replication server on one of the remaining 3 three machines.

I had shut down slapd during the conversion as recommended by several sources.  As I did not complete the conversion, I just logged off from the LDAP server at the end of the day.

The next morning, no one could log on to any of the 4 servers with any account (including root) and all $#&& broke loose (it didn't help that I was off site).  Therefore, I have the following questions:

1) Was this behavior predictable?  Since the system accounts were defined in the /etc/passwd & /etc/shadow files and since I had configured /etc/nsswitch.conf to point to files first, I had assumed there would be no impact.

2) Should I configure the LDAP client and server on the same machine?  I did my initial testing in this state and had no prior impacts.

3) How do you "uninstall" the LDAP client on a machine quickly?  We ended up manually editing files and running  authconfig; probably not the most effective way.

4) Is there a sample of how to setup the /etc/rc.d/rc?.d files to start up LDAP upon reboot?  Since I was in a test mode, I hadn't done this so rebooting the server didn't help.

Thanx,
Joe

This message contains confidential information intended only for the use of the addressee(s)

named above and may contain information that is legally privileged.  If you are not the

addressee, or the person responsible for delivering it to the addressee, you are hereby
notified that reading, disseminating, distributing or copying this message is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this message by mistake, please immediately notify us by replying to the

message and delete the original message immediately thereafter.

Thank you.                                                                                                       FADLD Tag