LDAP client api and cache

Title: Message
Hi,

I am writing some client side LDAP searches (actually I am porting the old Netscape LDAP to OpenLDAP). After spending some time looking around the code, man pages, and the mailing list, I am having trouble understanding caching. For instance, it appears to be that there is no longer ldap_get/set_cache functions, as older man pages and the contrib class library would suggest. And instead that caching has been moved to the ldbm backend.

To start with the most naive question first, is caching still available for client side connections, or is this now only available with db on the server? If it is available, do we make calls into libldbm directly (does anyone have an example of this)? If not, are we on our own to cache, or is there another option available?

Thanks for the help.

joshua