Can LDAPDB transelate a user@domain.com -> user_domain_com?

Hi, I'm not sure what list this question should go to, but I'll try here
for a start.

I'm about to du an ISPMan installation, when a thought struck me. A
normal ISPMan userid is on the form <uid>_domain_tl (I would then have
tarjei_nu_no). Now, this is stored in the uid attribute of the user.

The user also has his email adress stored in the same entry under the
attribute mailLocalAdress.

Now, if I configure Cyrus-Imapd to use the ldapdb auxprop for
authentication, would it be possible for the user to log in as
user@domain.com and have ldapdb transelate that to user_domain_com to
the imapserver?

Is this possible using some of OpenLDAPs regex magic or am I way off
now?

Tarjei