search fails to find indexes?

Hello all,

I've set up 2.1.21 from scratch on Solaris 9, to use as an
information service for Sol8 and Sol9 clients, using the ldap2
client stack from Sun.

I've loaded a few thousand test users and groups and all
seems to be working fine except for lousy performance.
It's taking a good 3-4 seconds to su to a user from root,
or to complete the 'groups' command once in the user's
context.

A search of the form:

ldapsearch -h <host> -b "ou=People,dc=usp,dc=net" \
  -s one -D "cn=solaris,ou=LDAPusers,dc=usp,dc=net" \
   "((objectClass=posixAccount)(uid=smiths))"

works OK but also takes the best part of a second to
return the result.

So I added the following indexes to slapd.conf:

# Indices to maintain
index   objectClass     eq
index   cn      pres,eq
index   uid     pres,eq
index   gidNumber  pres,eq
index   memberUid  pres,eq
index   uidNumber  pres,eq

stopped slapd, ran slapindex, and restarted slapd -
No change.  The index files (or something that
looks like a set of index files) seem to have been
created ok in /usr/local/var/openldap-data

The log file shows entries of the form:

conn=76 op=1 SRCH base="ou=People,dc=ClientA,dc=usp,dc=net"
  scope=1 filter="(&(objectClass=posixAccount)(uid=smiths))"
conn=76 op=1 SRCH attr=cn uid uidNumber gidNumber gecos
  description home Directory loginShell
bdb(dc=usp,dc=net): Locker does not exist
<= bdb_equality_candidates: (objectClass) index_param failed (22)
bdb(dc=usp,dc=net): Locker does not exist
<= bdb_equality_candidates: (objectClass) index_param failed (22)
bdb(dc=usp,dc=net): Locker does not exist
<= bdb_equality_candidates: (uid) index_param failed (22)
conn=76 op=1 SEARCH RESULT tag=101 err=0 nentries=1 text=

...from which I'm guessing that the indexes may not be
doing their job.  So I may have missed something in the config?

The same performance issue occurs if I switch logging off
completely.

Checking the client end, I get a good swift response when
searching almost exactly the same population and tree
structure on an MS Active Directory server, so I'm assuming
the client is OK.

If anyone can shed any light on this I'd be grateful.

Steve.Smith@commerzbankIB.com

This is a commercial communication from Commerzbank AG.

This communication is confidential and is intended only for the person to
whom it is addressed.  If you are not that person you are not permitted to
make use of the information and you are requested to notify
<mailto:LONIB.Postmaster@commerzbankib.com> immediately that you have
received it and then destroy the copy in your possession.

Commerzbank AG may monitor outgoing and incoming e-mails. By replying to
this e-mail you consent to such monitoring. This e-mail message and any
attached files have been scanned for the presence of computer viruses.
However, you are advised that you open attachments at your own risk.

This email was sent either by Commerzbank AG, London Branch, or by
Commerzbank Securities, a division of Commerzbank.  Commerzbank AG is a
limited liability company incorporated in the Federal Republic of Germany.
Registered Company Number in England BR001025. Our registered address in
the UK is 23 Austin Friars, London, EC2P 2JD. We are regulated by the
Financial Services Authority for the conduct of investment business in the
UK and we appear on the FSA register under number 124920.