Problems with accentuated characters

Hello list,

I'm from France and i've got to migrate users from /etc/passwd. The gecos field is filled with the person's real name (i.e : Gabriel Péri)... The migrate_passwd works well and outputs a ldif file.
When I try to ldapadd this ldif file I've got an error telling me that there are invalid characters (é).
I tried to encode the gecos field in mime64 to add it as binary data into openldap but i've got this error now :

ldap_add: Invalid syntax (21)
       additional info: gecos: value #0 invalid per syntax

Has anyone succeeded in entering diacritics into ldap?? I'd like to know how...

Thanks, Bruno