RE: Alternate names in certificates

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, Howard Chu wrote:

> That's funny. When I enter "subjectaltname" into the archive search page I
> get several hits, including this one:
> http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-software/200303/msg01006.html

I'm sure you would; however, that wasn't the search term I used (I had
something sensible like "alternate names SSL LDAP" or something, and
found the thread "Load-Balanced LDAP Servers + TSL/SSL")...

> > What I have been able to find implies that a
> > single alternate name can be given
>
> Wrong, you can have as many as you want, as the previous messages on this
> list have already illustrated.

Which doesn't in the least contradict what I wrote.

> > So, how have people done this?  Assume I know nothing about X.509...
>
> OK. If you know nothing about X.509, go read the OpenSSL documentation. You
> should not be messing with X.509 authentication if you know nothing about it,
> and this is not the proper forum for teaching the subject.

I didn't say that I knew nothing about X.509...

--
Dave Horsfall  DTM  VK2KFU  daveh@ci.com.au  Ph: +61 2 9906-7866  Fx: 9906-1556
Corinthian Engineering, Level 1, 401 Pacific Hwy, Artarmon, NSW 2064, Australia