RE: Slap*CAT* and horrible performance?

The Berkeley DB documentation would be a sure bet. The FAQ would be a good
idea too. http://www.openldap.org/faq/data/cache/893.html

Since you haven't configured the BDB cache, and your database is obviously
too large to fit into the default cache, you're losing time due to lots of
pages being swapped to/from the cache and the database. You need to set a
proper cache size.

In 2.2 I've added support to allow slapcat to read data directly from the
database without first copying it thru the cache, but this will only occur
when no other processes are using the database.

  -- Howard Chu