Protocol error when using OpenLDAP 2.1.22 with Squirrelmail 1.4

I am trying to use OpenLDAP 2.1.22 with Squirrelmail 1.4 and am running
into a protocol error when using the squirrelmail address book function
to look up addresses in the LDAP server.

Here is the exact error message I get while in squirrelmail:

Error initializing LDAP server 192.168.1.73:
 [dude ldap] Protocol error

Both the apache web server, the squirrelmail files, and the LDAP server
are the same machine, IP 192.168.1.73. This PC is running Redhat 9.0

I can access the LDAP data via other computers and with other programs.
I have several users and other related data in LDAP already. For
example, I can use a java based LDAP program on a windows machine to
view and modify the LDAP entries. I can also use another commercial
win32 application to do the same. A different PC with Outlook queries
this 192.168.1.73 LDAP server just fine and finds the users I have in
there.

All other Squirrelmail functions work fine like sending and receiving
mail, calendar, and so forth.

I am logging all the data from slapd to a file. Here are the entries in
this file when I get the error message above:

Jul  8 12:30:55 linux2 slapd[13426]: conn=23 fd=11 ACCEPT from
IP=192.168.1.73:4816 (IP=0.0.0.0:389)
Jul  8 12:30:55 linux2 slapd[13426]: conn=23 op=0 BIND dn="" method=128
Jul  8 12:30:55 linux2 slapd[13426]: conn=23 op=0 RESULT tag=97 err=2
text=requested protocol version not allowed
Jul  8 12:30:55 linux2 slapd[13426]: conn=23 op=1 UNBIND
Jul  8 12:30:55 linux2 slapd[13426]: conn=23 fd=11 closed

My base DN in Squirrelmail is set to the same as the other external LDAP
apps that work. That is dc=ivex,dc=com  I have looked in the
squirrelmail config.php file and verfiried that. I can not explain the
dc="" in the log above.

The requested protocol version not allowed is what bothers me.  Is
squirrelmail trying to access my LDAP server using LDAP v2. I have read
through the  Admin guide and it says LDAPv2 is disabled by default and I
should be using LDAPv3 (which I am). It also states that running a mix
of V2 and V3 is problematic.

Has anyone else ran into this problem with squirrelmail and LDAP?