OpenLDAP 2.1.22 ldapadd error 80

I'm doing some testing on RedHat 9, OpenLDAP 2.1.22, Berkeley DB
4.1.25p1, using the BDB Backend.

I have an LDIF file (produced by slapcat with the creat*/modif*
attributes removed) that has 52,807 entries.  If I put DB_TXN_NOSYNC in
the DB_CONFIG file, it will load in about 20 minutes.  However, if I
don't use DB_TXN_NOSYNC, it will crash and burn after about 24 minutes
with the message:

adding new entry "netid=sxxx,ou=People,ou=Expired,dc=uvm,dc=edu"
ldapadd: update failed: netid=sxxx,ou=People,ou=Expired,dc=uvm,dc=edu
ldap_add: Internal (implementation specific) error (80)
        additional info: txn_prepare failed

It isn't always the same entry (but it has always been in the netid=s*
crowd [aka about entry 48,600 or about 92%]) that is being added, but
the error is always the same.  Unfortunately, since the environment is
completely destroyed and I have to run db_recover, I'm at a loss how to
figure out what to do to not have this happen.

I'm open to suggestions on what I'm doing wrong or what info I should
provide.

Thanks,
Systems Programmer              | Always remember: You are UNIQUE,
                    === God Bless Us All ===