LDAP critical extension ?

What is a critical extension and how do I find it so I can
Put it into the configuration or build of LDAP? Is it just
That my client does not support LDAPv3 ? am I missing a library ?

Thanks,
Ron.

#define LDAP_UNAVAILABLE_CRITICAL_EXTENSION 0x0c /* LDAPv3 */

Thu Jul  3 07:28:09 2003 : Error: rlm_ldap: could not start TLS
Criticial extension is unavailable
[Ron Wahler]

servers/slapd/extended.c

   /* check for controls inappropriate for all extended operations */
    if( get_manageDSAit( op ) == SLAP_CRITICAL_CONTROL ) {
        send_ldap_result( conn, op,
            rc = LDAP_UNAVAILABLE_CRITICAL_EXTENSION,
            NULL, "manageDSAit control inappropriate",
            NULL, NULL );
        goto done;
    }