Re: 2.1.22 Performance...

Today at 12:39pm, jehan procaccia wrote:

> Frank Swasey wrote:
>
> >Folks,
> >  Since I have complained bitterly here in the past about how bad the
> >performance was doing a slapadd of 55000 entries between ldbm and bdb
> >backends.  I feel it is of use that I should note that having upgraded
> >to RedHat9 and openldap-2.1.22 on my test machine, that ldbm now loads
> >in 10 minutes and bdb loads in 14 minutes.  That's the same performance
> >for ldbm but 21 minutes faster for bdb!
> >
> >  Congratulations to whoever made the change (which I assume was NOT
> >really part of the RedHat9 code, but since I don't have an RH8 box left
> >to test with, I can't be sure).
> >

> Curious, for me perfs didn't changed !
> Actually I slapadd "only" 2300 entries
> openldap-2.1.22-1, RedHat 9, db-4.1.25.NC patch 1 .
> $ time slapadd -f /etc/openldap/slapd.conf -l
> /tmp/dump.ldif
>
> real    0m45.799s
> user    0m31.050s
> sys     0m1.240s
>
> same as before , however I still use a DB_CONFIG file with "set_flags
> DB_TXN_NOSYNC" .

I had DB_TXN_NOSYNC set in my DB_CONFIG during the load as well.

> I've also a perl script that changes the value of one attribute for all
> my entries and it take the same amount of time:
> $ time ./change-attr-value.pl
> 2326
> real    1m30.937s
> user    0m11.450s
> sys     0m0.440s

That I haven't done.

> I don't blame these performances, they are very good for me , what I say
> is that I didn't noticed a difference between 2.1.21 and 2.1.22

I never tested 2.1.21.  My last test was done on 2.1.17 (other projects
kept me busy enough that I never got back to this one until just before
2.1.22 was released)

> By the way I've build RH 9 source and binaries packages for 2.1.22 ->
> http://www.int-evry.fr/mci/user/procacci/SRPMS/
>  Frank, do you still buid RH packages ? anyone else doing it ? Redhat
> still ships with openldap-2.0.27-8 :-( .

Yes, I'm still building redhat RPM's.  To get this one going, I picked
up your 2.1.21 rpm and figured out what I had messed up in my own.  I
haven't posted anything to my web pages recently because I haven't
managed to get anything into production....

Systems Programmer              | Always remember: You are UNIQUE,
                    === God Bless Us All ===