Re: 2.1.22 Performance...

Frank Swasey wrote:

Folks,
Since I have complained bitterly here in the past about how bad the performance was doing a slapadd of 55000 entries between ldbm and bdb backends. I feel it is of use that I should note that having upgraded to RedHat9 and openldap-2.1.22 on my test machine, that ldbm now loads in 10 minutes and bdb loads in 14 minutes. That's the same performance for ldbm but 21 minutes faster for bdb!

Congratulations to whoever made the change (which I assume was NOT really part of the RedHat9 code, but since I don't have an RH8 box left to test with, I can't be sure).

Curious, for me perfs didn't changed !
Actually I slapadd "only" 2300 entries
openldap-2.1.22-1, RedHat 9, db-4.1.25.NC patch 1 .
$ time slapadd -f /etc/openldap/slapd.conf -l /tmp/dump.ldif

real    0m45.799s
user    0m31.050s
sys     0m1.240s

same as before , however I still use a DB_CONFIG file with "set_flags DB_TXN_NOSYNC" .
I've also a perl script that changes the value of one attribute for all my entries and it take the same amount of time:
$ time ./change-attr-value.pl
2326
real 1m30.937s
user 0m11.450s
sys 0m0.440s

I don't blame these performances, they are very good for me , what I say is that I didn't noticed a difference between 2.1.21 and 2.1.22

By the way I've build RH 9 source and binaries packages for 2.1.22 -> http://www.int-evry.fr/mci/user/procacci/SRPMS/
Frank, do you still buid RH packages ? anyone else doing it ? Redhat still ships with openldap-2.0.27-8 :-( .